LASC/SEOLS has set up a system for clients to still receive legal help while our brief advice clinics are canceled. This can be expanded if we have more volunteers participating, and although we are working to get the word out to our volunteers through our typical methods, if you know of others who aren’t already connected with us, please feel free to share!
Important information for Attorneys who wish to help during this time:
If you would still like to provide legal help to clients while our in-person clinics are suspended, LASC and SEOLS have developed “virtual clinics” during which pro bono attorneys will provide phone advice to individuals with time-sensitive legal issues. If you wish to sign up for any virtual clinic shifts, please use this form: https://oslsa.wufoo.com/forms/zx6si961rm5zp6/.
Virtual Clinic explanation:
- Clients with time-sensitive legal needs will call our intake department and be scheduled for a clinic slot. Right now, virtual clinic slots align with the schedules for our brief advice clinics, but if we have sufficient volunteer participation, we will expand our hours.
- At intake, LASC and SEOLS will gather client’s intake information, including contact information and a brief explanation of their legal issue.
- If client has documents that are relevant to their question and they have the ability to do so, our intake department will have the client email or fax in their documents.
- Prior to each “virtual clinic”, our Pro Bono Team staff will match pre-registered clients with attorneys who have agreed to participate for that evening.
- Attorneys will receive a clinic referral email, which will include the client’s intake and contact information, any documents we have received, contact information for our staff attorney who is “on call” for the clinic, and a link to a case reporting form that we will ask the attorney to complete after the consultation. Report link here: https://oslsa.wufoo.com/forms/z194bwvh1tve5jf/
- Clients will be instructed to be available during the clinic time and that they will be receiving a call that might come up as restricted or blocked.
- During the consultation, attorneys will initiate the call. If calling from a personal cell phone, we recommend blocking your number by dialing *67 before the client’s number.
- For those who need it, Attorneys will be provided with training materials and access to a recorded CLE that covers the substantive areas we encounter most frequently.
In exchange for your service, we offer current volunteers access to all of our live Continuing Legal Education Programs. We also record all of our trainings and make them available after the fact. If you need access to this password-protected site, contact Dianna Parker.
If you are a non-attorney and signed up to volunteer with one of our clinics, please take a moment and complete our confidentiality form here: https://oslsa.wufoo.com/forms/xuyjhxh1t74lu8/