Did you know that you may be eligible for help in paying for some of your Medicare costs…including your monthly Medicare Part B premium?
Ohio’s Medicare Savings Programs (formerly “buy in” programs or premium assistance programs) provide financial assistance to individuals that are eligible for Medicare, have assets that do not exceed program limits, and the family’s income is:
- Below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL):
- May be eligible for Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMB) that pays your Medicare Part B premium AND Medicare out-of-pocket expenses that includes your Medicare Part A deductible and your 20% of Medicare covered services.
- Between 100% and 120% of the FPL:
- May be eligible for Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMB) that pays your Medicare Part B premium.
- No more than 135% of the FPL:
- May be eligible for Qualified Individuals-1 (QI-1) that pays your Medicare Part B premium.
Please note that as of December 1, 2015, the Ohio Department of Medicaid expanded the definition of “family” when determining whether or not an individual meets the income requirements for this assistance. If you were previously denied coverage because your income was too high, but you have a spouse and/or children in your home, you should reapply for assistance. →